Loaning devices to children and young people – GOV.UK

We use some essential cookies to make this website work.
We’d like to set additional cookies to understand how you use GOV.UK, remember your settings and improve government services.
We also use cookies set by other sites to help us deliver content from their services.
You can change your cookie settings at any time.
Departments, agencies and public bodies
News stories, speeches, letters and notices
Detailed guidance, regulations and rules
Reports, analysis and official statistics
Consultations and strategy
Data, Freedom of Information releases and corporate reports
Guidance for local authorities, trusts, schools, colleges and FE institutions about who owns DfE loaned devices, asset management and loan agreements.
Ownership of laptops, tablets and 4G wireless routers was transferred from DfE to the local authorities, academy trusts, schools, colleges and further education (FE) institutions that received them.
Device owners are able to choose how and when to temporarily lend, or permanently give, devices to children and young people in need, or to other organisations. Before parting with your devices, you’ll want to consider carefully the balance of the individual’s need against your school’s or service’s future need for face-to-face learning, remote learning support and online social care.
DfE expects organisations to decide how best to make devices available to disadvantaged children and young people so they can access remote education, face-to-face learning and online social care when needed.
You must consider safeguarding when making your decision about lending.
Guidance on safe internet use should be provided at the same time as devices are lent or given.
You should consider retaining ownership and management of the devices when you lend them to children, families and young people.
The benefits of lending are:
You can choose to give devices to other organisations. The new owner will then decide how to distribute them to children and young people in need.
Local authorities that have been allocated devices for state-funded pupils in independent special schools and alternative provision can give devices to those settings. You should make sure that DfE devices will only be distributed to state-funded pupils as a condition of your agreement to transfer ownership to them.
You can choose to give devices to children, young people and families, where you’ve deemed it appropriate. This may include giving devices to care leavers. Giving devices permanently to children and young people should only be considered after assessing the benefits of the 2 options listed above.
Before making this decision, you should consider:
A child or young person may no longer meet the criteria under which a device was provided, for example, they may no longer receive support from a social worker.
If this happens, you should assess the needs of the child or young person, including safeguarding. You can then decide whether to let them continue using the device, or ask them to return it.
If a device has been permanently given to a child or young person, it’s their property.
Children and young people may be given devices by one educational setting, then move to another. Device ownership transferral will need to be decided between them.
The original device owner should uninstall any software they’ve added, unless licences are being transferred too. They should let the new educational setting know what changes have been made, so that it can be set up and secured appropriately again.
If an local authority has given a child or young person a device and that person moves area, the local authority can:
You can decide how best to meet the needs of vulnerable children and young people.
If you have any concerns about lending or giving a device to a child or young person for safeguarding reasons, you must use your judgement. For example, you may decide that the device should:
Laptops, tablets and 4G wireless routers are not tagged or labelled when they’re delivered. Schools, colleges, further education institutions, local authorities and trusts are responsible for implementing their own security and tracking methods.
You may invalidate the warranty on your device if you use any permanent method of labelling or tagging.
You should make clear to recipients of devices that it’s unlawful for any lent device to be sold by a student or their family. If a lent device is lost, stolen or sold, or where recall is not possible, you should follow any existing protocol you have for lost, stolen or missing devices.
Updated content now that the DfE ‘Get help with technology’ service has closed.
First published.
Don’t include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.
To help us improve GOV.UK, we’d like to know more about your visit today. We’ll send you a link to a feedback form. It will take only 2 minutes to fill in. Don’t worry we won’t send you spam or share your email address with anyone.


Leave a Comment