New Universal Credit transfer update for people on Tax Credits in certain parts of Scotland – Daily Record

More claimants will start receiving Managed Migration notices from DWP next month.
The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has announced that more people on Tax Credits will start to receive letters inviting them to claim Universal Credit (UC) as the UK Government expands the migration of legacy benefit claimants to the modern IT welfare system.
This month, people on Tax Credits-only in Kent, North London, Durham & Tees Valley, and West Yorkshire will receive Managed Migration Notices from DWP. In August, it will expand into the West of Scotland, Staffordshire & Derbyshire, and South London.
The ‘West of Scotland’ region consists of the constituencies of Clydebank and Milngavie, Cunninghame North, Cunninghame South (North Ayrshire), Dumbarton, Eastwood, Greenock and Inverclyde, Paisley, Renfrewshire North and West, Renfrewshire South, and Starthkelvin and Bearsden. Informally, this region covers Argyll, Ayrshire, Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, and Renfrewshire.
Announcing the expansion in the latest edition of the Touchbase newsletter, the DWP said: “We continue to collaborate with key external stakeholders to develop and improve the move to UC Journey." The DWP continued: “Recently, following stakeholder feedback on help making a claim to UC, we added Help to Claim and Advice Local references to the Migration Notice and continue to test the effectiveness of the information contained within the Notice.”
Original estimates by the DWP suggest that of the one million people on Working Tax Credits or Child Tax Credits due to transfer as part of the Managed Migration process, some 700,000 will receive a higher entitlement on Universal Credit. However, the data also indicates that 300,000 will receive a lower entitlement.
It's also worth noting that 100,000 Tax Credits claimants will receive transitional protection after, which means they should not see any reduction in their benefits when they transfer to Universal Credit. HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) administers Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit and has previously advised claimants that both benefits will be replaced by Universal Credit by the end of 2024.
Every person in receipt of Tax Credits will receive a letter from the DWP inviting them to make a claim for Universal Credit. It is important that people claim by the deadline shown in the letter, also referred to as a ‘Migration Notice’, in order to continue receiving financial support.
Tax Credits will end even if they decide not to claim Universal Credit. However, there is no need to wait for their transfer letter, and customers can apply to move to Universal Credit sooner, if it is right for them, but they should seek independent advice beforehand to ensure they will not be financially worse off.
HMRC recently issued Tax Credits renewal packs which must be completed and returned by July 31, 2023. It’s important to be aware that any changes in circumstances could trigger a move to Universal Credit.
There are three ways people can migrate to Universal Credit, outlined in the DWP’s ‘2022-24 strategy for implementing the final phase of Universal Credit’ – you can read it in full on the GOV.UK website, here.
These are:
DWP estimates on who will receive higher or lower entitlements or see no change to the amount of benefit they receive are summarised below.
Higher entitlement after moving to Universal Credit
Lower entitlement after moving to Universal Credit
No change after moving to Universal Credit
The DWP said that around 400,000 ESA and 100,000 Tax Credits claimants will receive transitional protection, which means they should not see any reduction in their benefits when they transfer.
However, the value of this protection will be eroded every year because, with the exception of the childcare element, any annual increase in Universal Credit will be deducted from the transitional protection.
People can claim Universal Credit directly online or via the dedicated Universal Credit Migration Notice helpline for free on 0800 169 0328 or by visiting your local jobcentre. Claimants that require more time to claim can also call DWP for free on 0800 169 0328.
For those who need additional support to complete their application, Citizens Advice Scotland’s Help to Claim service provides free, confidential and impartial advice along with a step-by-step guide to the claims process. Find out more on the website here.
To keep up to date with the latest benefits news, join our Money Saving Scotland Facebook page here, follow us on Twitter @Record_Money, or subscribe to our newsletter which goes out Monday to Friday – sign up here.
More help for people making a new claim for Universal Credit or waiting for first payment
Check for unclaimed benefits or discounts to help top-up your household income before summer
Millions of people on certain benefits urged not to miss out on annual bonus of up to £300
New changes to DWP telephone system over next three years due to start with Universal Credit
Universal Credit pay boost of up to £522 for working parents due from end of this month


Leave a Comment